Oracle Sun Ray™ deployments allow organizations familiar with Oracle Solaris operating systems and Oracle technology to move to a VDI environment. For example, in financial services, where Sun Ray Desktop Units (DTUs) are prevalent, the DTUs deploy the high-performance Oracle Appliance Link Protocol™ (ALP), surpassing ordinary PCs in performance, reliability, and stability. With the ALP protocol, end users experience enriched multimedia capabilities without consuming corporate bandwidth.
To optimize network performance, IT administrators use the Sun Ray system to send desktop traffic over existing high-latency links. With Oracle’s highly efficient ALP connecting the end-user DTU to the appropriate data center, Sun Ray Server link delay is minimized. As the user moves to different DTUs to access the same VM, the IT administrator needs to ensure that redirection continues to occur correctly. Without the benefit of advanced brokering capabilities, implementation of redirection rules can be complicated and may require manual intervention or extensive scripting. But, without them, the end user loses the benefits of ALP.
The Leostream Connection Broker simplifies and automates this redirection process, allowing organizations to experience the full benefit of ALP.
Using the Leostream Connection Broker, organizations can:
- Run Leostream Connect on Sun Ray thin clients with smart card capability to log into the Connection Broker. The Leostream Connect client is adapted for Sun Ray Servers, providing a simple interface to the client.
- Provide Solaris, Microsoft® Windows®, or Linux® virtual desktops to end users.
- Build comprehensive policies to determine which virtual machines to offer to the end user.
- Seamlessly redirect users to the Sun Ray Server physically closest to their virtual machines, regardless of what DTU is used. This redirection optimizes the RDP session by allowing the high latency link to always be crossed using the high-performance ALP.
- Avoid the time and cost associated with writing scripts. The Leostream Connection Broker policies handle user assignment and redirection.
In addition, the Leostream Connection Broker functions with a wide range of viewer protocols, allowing organizations to deploy mixed solutions that include Sun Ray DTUs, as well as a range of other client devices running both standard and high-performance protocols in addition to ALP.